Thuro is the Mid Atlantic United States leader in turning capacity and capability for contract manufacturing.
- Precise tolerances…capable of .0003″
- Ability to fabricate parts measuring from .500″ – 3.5″ in diameter from .500″ – 12″ long
- Materials include aluminum, brass, copper, titanium, and most types of steel including the more
difficult-to-machine hardened alloys
- Machining processes include OD turning and forming; internal and external threading; part face,
end, and cross-diameter work
- Single set-up live tooling and live spindle capabilities
- In-house tool fabrication
- Specialize in low to mid-volume production using multi-tasking turning/milling centers
Computer numerical control (CNC) turning, is an advanced machining process with the ability to produce high-quality and highly accurate parts at low costs in production and low volume quantities.
CNC turning can achieve precise tolerances. In fact, at Thuro Metal Products, incredibly tight tolerances as small as three ten thousandths of an inch (0.0003”) are achievable in part sizes ranging from 0.500″ to 3.5″ in diameter with lengths ranging from 0.500″ – 12″ long.
These capabilities and an unrelenting commitment to quality have established Thuro Metal Products as the Mid Atlantic United States leader in turning capacity and capability for contract manufacturing.
What is CNC Turning?
In CNC turning or CNC lathe machining, the tool bit is moved slowly axially and radially while the workpiece is rapidly turned to create the cutting action.
CNC turning or automated lathe production is a complex process involving the use of well-engineered and meticulous calculations that are fed into the CNC program, which guides the machine through each of the turning operations. The calculations or CNC instructions determine the cutting tool path, tool travel speed, part rotary speed, coolant applications, and other machining parameters.
CNC turning is an automated computer-controlled process that sends signals to a lathe to shape precision turned parts to the exact specifications of an engineer’s designs. Typically, CNC turning operations include:
- OD turning
- ID turning
- Forming – knurling and burnishing
- Internal and external cut threading
- Roll-formed external threads
- Stepping, facing, and end work
- Cross-diameter work.
Thuro Metal Products’ CNC turning centers also have additional multitasking capabilities, which enable the production of extraordinarily complex parts beyond simple turned components, such as:
- Off center and Angular Drilling
- On machine part assembly
- Y-axis Milling
Thuro Metal Products also has single set-up live tooling and live spindle capabilities.
In manual turning, the precision and repeatability are limited by the machinist’s skill. Unlike manual turning, CNC turning on a turning center with CNC programming can produce the accurate tolerances within 0.0003” consistently:
- From the first part to the last part in a batch or run
- In high volumes as well as low volumes runs
- From run to run – today, tomorrow, and years into the future.
The CNC turning is an important manufacturing process in assuring customers receive the highest quality precision turned parts guaranteed to meet and exceed their demands and specifications. The ability to repeatably produce high-tolerance parts has made CNC turning one of the most used methods for turning and shaping metals.
CNC Turning Metals
CNC turning at Thuro Metal Products is virtually unlimited in its ability to machine an unlimited variety of metals and alloys. CNC turning on a rigid, precision lathe that is capable of shaping parts and components from metals such as:
- Aluminum and Aluminum Alloys
- Copper, Brass, and Bronze Alloys
- Stainless steels including austenitic, ferritic, duplex, PH hardening, and martensitic grades
- Steel Alloys – Plain or Low Carbon, High Strength Low Alloy (HSLA) Steel, Maraging Steel, Tool Steels, Hardened High Carbon Alloy Steels
- Titanium and Titanium Alloys
The CNC turning process is adaptable and versatile with the ability to produce almost any configuration in a component. All spindle speeds and all axis feed rates can be fine-tuned to handle more difficult machine metals and alloys. The accuracy of the process and its ability to adjust to any conditions is the major reason CNC turning is chosen for manufacturing quality precision-turned components in a wide range of metals and alloys.
CNC Turning Applications and Quality
The precision and accuracy of the CNC precision turning process have made it a highly utilized method for prototypes, short runs, and high-volume production of precision turned components for a varied assortment of industries.
The reliability and exactness of CNC turned components have made CNC turning the go-to method for designers, design engineers, manufacturing engineers, and purchasing agents. CNC turning is very often the best technology for realizing the requirements and specifications of designs ranging from LED lighting components to dental implants to the production of stainless-steel aircraft sensors.
For the aerospace, medical, power generation, high-end electronics, satellite communication, radar, defense, and other mission-critical industries where quality is essential, precision CNC turning always rises to the challenge to meet the exacting standards of these industries. Components for these mission-critical industries must be flawlessly produced to the most minute detail from the first part approval through to the last production run.
Thuro Metal Products has quality certifications demonstrating the ability to meet the stringent needs of the aerospace, defense, lighting, and automotive industries:
- ISO 9001:2015 – AS9100D registered – ITAR Certified.
- Defense & U.S. State Department: ITAR Certified M23774
- Industrial & Lighting Quality Management: ISO 9001
- Automotive Quality Management: ISO/TS 16949
Thuro Metal Products has a rigorous statistical process control (SPC) system in place, which is demonstrated by their quality score of 99%. Thuro can out-produce competitors who typically receive only a 95% quality score.
Another trait setting Thuro apart from its competitors is its capability to fabricate tools in-house. The ability to control the tooling with in-house tool fabrication allows an additional level of quality control and assurance of consistency and accuracy. CNC turning shops relying on outside toolmakers as they cannot respond as quickly to order requests or provide the level of quality manufacturing Thuro Metal Products has become renowned for.
Benefits of CNC Turning
When determining the best method for manufacturing a part, the most important factors are:
- Accuracy – ability to meet tight tolerances.
- Precision, consistency, and repeatability – from the first part or article inspection to the last part.
- Affordable – cost-effectiveness of the process is crucial for a viable part and design implementation.
- Size capability – The CNC turning process size capability must envelop the diameter and length constraints of the part as well as the raw bar stock used to make the part.
Designers and design engineers require their designed components accurate and precise to the smallest detail. Tight tolerances are often required in advanced designs of bearings, machinery, and other mechanisms to meet high-performance specifications. If components do not meet the tolerance requirements, then binding, misfits, or complete failure to assemble the part into a design can result. Designers and design engineers should not over-specify dimensional tolerances because this can add unnecessary costs to a product.
The CNC turning process can meet strict part tolerance factors with reasonable part cost in low to high volume production runs. Few manufacturing practices can guarantee that they will perform up to the highest precision and accuracy standards. CNC turning is often a top choice amongst design and manufacturing engineers for its ability to repeatedly produce accurate components the first time and every time.
State of the Art CNC Turning at Thuro Metal Products
While the accuracy and precision of CNC turning at Thuro Metal Products is impressive and state of the art, what sets them apart is the ability to work with you to understand and meet the specific nuances and unique requirements of your CNC turned and CNC milled components.
Thuro Metal Products will work with you as a partner providing honest feedback on the design-for-manufacturing or design-for-machining aspects of your parts, which can result in more producible designs, higher quality, improved performance, and lower costs.
Thuro Metal Products is not only a leader in CNC turning, but even more – a reliable trusted partner in the quality manufacturing of your CNC turned components.